Travel sewing kit.

Yesterday I helped my brother sew up a ripped pocket on one of his coats. He also sewed on a button. He was pretty chuffed.

Then he brought out his favourite button up top and asked if I could fix it. It is a nice shirt, its made from Italian cotton but it's old.

It wasn't good.

The seam from the arm to the collar was ripped. There were holes all along the back seam. The fabric was disintegrating.
I thought about it, I could put some thing like a lining under it but then it wouldn't be as soft and I think that it would be a bit out of my skill level.
I put on a sympathetic face and told him "there is nothing more I could do"

I used a piece of it to make him a little sewing kit. He can leave it in the glove box of his car and hopefully it will come in handy one day.



It had a red binding to match the pocket but he didn't like it so I took it off and used a zig zag stitch around the edges.
It comes with needles, pins, safety pins, buttons, and a bobbin of white thread.
I was going to wrap some different coloured threads around a small piece of cardboard but then I saw the bobbin.
One little part of the bobbin is bent so I cant use it in my sewing machine and it is already full of cotton so I have donated it to the sewing kit.
The buttons are loosely sewn on so they can be pulled of if they ever need to be used.

Comments

  1. I like your quilt!
    and that you are into repurposing - the sewing kit is a fun idea for your brother.
    I would follow your blog, but I didn't see a followers button, so I will see if I can add it to my blog list from my side.
    Good luck with your quilting - It's my favorite favorite!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Block one!

I'm finished!!!!

Bringing out the big guns!